IHFA FARM WALK
PEDIGREE FOCUS FARMS
7 FARMERS – 7 SYSTEMS – 1 DAY
@ KEVIN FLYNN’S REARY HERD, CLONASLEE, CO LAOIS, R32HF74
@12 MIDDAY 15th SEPTEMBER 2023
“The Breed behind Irish Dairy”
Details of each farmer is available here
The IHFA are delighted to host a Farm Walk on the farm of Kevin Flynn, Reary Herd, Clonaslee Co.Laois on the 15th September 2023 in celebration of the 7 focus farms IHFA have profiled and featured across our channels and publications this year.
The Focus Farm project was designed to highlight the diverse farmers that make up the IHFA and celebrate their excellent herds and ways of farming. The farms range from 60 cows to 180 with production from 5,000 liters to 10,000 liters, and vary from generations of purebred Holstein Friesian to newly established Pure Friesian herds. Through grading up, any milk recording herd can achieve pedigree status which is a huge benefit for genetic gain and optimising your herd.
Pedigree dairy breeds can suit all farm systems!
The farm walk will consist of a number of demonstration stations featuring our focus farmers who will share their farming experiences & expertise supported by our IHFA staff to answer any questions around achieving pedigree status and the benefits of IHFA Membership.
Our Focus Farmers:
- Robert Shannon: 80 cows in Cork, focused on EBI & high solids production from grass.
- John Galvin: 85 cows in Kerry, has improved the herd steadily over the years with pedigree breeding and classification.
- Kevin Flynn: 180 strong pedigreed cows, built to last (av parity 4) & produce highly at a compact farm site moved into in 2008
- Farrell Scully: 55 strong herd in Sligo, solid, robust, trouble-free herd with SCC <100
- Patrick Pentony: 70 cows in Louth, herd graded up to pedigree status which made huge genetic and production gains
- Gearoid Maher: 100 Pure Friesians thriving on marginal land with sustainability at core of farming
- Paudie Brennan: 110 cows in partnership with his son Sean – the next generation of Irelands Dairy farmers choosing to continue pedigree herds
Read more about our Focus Farmers through a series of Articles in collaboration with Agriland.ie, links below to all articles:
“Agriland and IHFA present new series focused on farmers” – link here
IHFA Farmer Focus Series: “Combining EBI and pedigree breeding” link here
IHFA Farmer Focus Series: “Farming for the greater good” link here
IHFA Farmer Focus Series: “Family farms at the heart of Irish dairy” link here
IHFA Farmer Focus Series: “Value and longevity in two well-known herds” link here